Home Tech David Dobrik Steps Down From Dispo App

David Dobrik Steps Down From Dispo App

by Mary Sewell

David Dobrik, 24, is one of the best-known YouTubers in Hollywood. He made a name for himself on Vine, the short-form video app that created a generation of online stars. Then he moved on to YouTube, where he and a group of friends known as the Vlog Squad began sharing fast-paced comedic content, often involving stunts.

Since 2014, he’s amassed more than 18 million subscribers on his primary YouTube channel.

But an investigation by Kat Tenbarge at Insider published this week, detailing sexual assault allegations against a former Vlog Squad member, led many viewers to angrily re-evaluate Mr. Dobrik’s work and their fandom. Now it’s challenging the success of his growing empire. Mr. Dobrik was dubbed “Gen Z’s Jimmy Fallon” by The Wall Street Journal. Last April, he stepped back from regular vlogging, which had become challenging during the pandemic. He turned his focus to other projects, including launching his own photo-sharing app, called Dispo.

That app’s rating dropped below two stars in Apple’s app store last week. Apple briefly paused the ability to leave reviews as people crowded the space to berate Mr. Dobrik in the form of ratings and reviews. Late on Sunday, Mr. Dobrik announced that he would leave the company and step down from the board of Dispo in order “to not distract from the company’s growth,” according to a statement provided to The Information. “Dispo’s team, product, and, most importantly — our community — stand for building a diverse, inclusive, and empowering world,” the company said. Hours before, the venture capital firm Spark Capital, which led the start-up’s $20 million Series A financing round in

February announced it would “sever all ties” with Dispo. “We have stepped down from our position on the board, and we are in the process of making arrangements to ensure we do not profit from our recent investment in Dispo,” the company posted on Twitter. On Friday, a spokesperson for HelloFresh, one of Mr. Dobrik’s sponsors, said: “We can confirm that we are no longer working with David Dobrik or any member of the Vlog Squad and do not have any plans to work with them again in the future.” “We’ve made the decision to end our relationship and cancel all planned activity,” said a representative for Dollar Shave Club. A spokesperson for EA Sports, which once gave Mr. Dobrik a Lamborghini, said the company “can confirm we are not currently working with him nor do we have any plans to in future.”

You may also like

Leave a Comment