Home Internet Largest meat producer getting back online after cyberattack

Largest meat producer getting back online after cyberattack

by Mary Sewell

CANBERRA, Australia — The world’s largest meat processing company has resumed most production after a weekend cyber attack. Still, experts say the vulnerabilities exposed by this attack and others are far from resolved.

JBS notified the federal government the ransom demand came from the ransomware gang REvil, which is believed to operate in Russia, according to a person familiar with the situation which is not authorized to discuss it publicly.

REvil has not posted anything related to the hack on its dark website. But that’s not unusual. Ransomware syndicates, as a rule, don’t post about attacks when they are in initial negotiations with victims — or if the victims have paid a ransom.

JBS hasn’t discussed the ransom demand in its public statements. Phone and email messages seeking comment were left with the company Wednesday.

JBS said late Tuesday that it had made “significant progress” in dealing with the cyberattack and expected the “vast majority” of its plants to be operating on Wednesday. The attack affected servers supporting JBS’s operations in North America and Australia. Backup servers weren’t affected, and the company said it was not aware of any customer, supplier, or employee data being compromised.

“Our systems are coming back online, and we are not sparing any resources to fight this threat,” Andre Nogueira, CEO of JBS USA, said in a statement.

Ransomware expert Allan Liska of the cybersecurity firm Recorded Future said the attack on JBS was the largest yet on a food manufacturer. But he said at least 40 food companies have been targeted by hackers over the last year, including brewer Molson Coors and E & J Gallo Winery.

You may also like

Leave a Comment